Odisha Announces ₹1,000-Crore Flood Relief Package for Affected People

Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi on Tuesday announced a ₹1,000-crore relief package for people affected by the ongoing floods in the state. The assistance will cover crop losses, livestock deaths, damage to fishing equipment and household belongings, besides providing support to farmers and handloom workers.
The announcement came after Majhi reviewed the flood situation and assessed the extent of damage across the affected areas. The Chief Minister said the government would provide free relief rice to affected families and extend input assistance to farmers whose crops have suffered more than 33% damage. Support will also be provided for seeds, while farmers affected by crop losses will receive assistance for both paddy and non-paddy crops.

To help farmers resume cultivation, the government will distribute free vegetable kits in flood-hit areas. Assistance will also be extended to fishermen whose boats and fishing nets have been damaged. Handloom workers who have lost or damaged their equipment will receive ₹5,000 to help them restore their livelihood.
Families whose household items have been damaged in the floods will also be covered under the relief measures. They will receive financial assistance for damaged utensils, clothing and household rice.
According to the Chief Minister, the floods have affected around 9.4 lakh people across 1,381 villages in 74 blocks spread over six districts. Jajpur has witnessed significant damage, with 10 blocks and 270 villages affected. Around 2.8 lakh people have been impacted in the district, while 77,680 people have been evacuated. As many as 203 relief centres have been opened to accommodate displaced residents.
In Bhadrak, four blocks and 149 villages have been affected, impacting nearly 2.59 lakh people. More than one lakh people have been evacuated, with around 90 relief centres functioning in the district. Flooding has also affected Balasore, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj and Kendrapara.
The state government has deployed 45 ODRAF teams and eight NDRF teams, along with fire service personnel, for rescue and relief operations in the affected districts. Majhi said no death had been reported so far and reiterated that ensuring zero casualties remains the government’s priority.
Under the compensation norms, farmers suffering more than 33% crop damage will receive ₹8,500 per hectare for non-irrigated land, ₹17,000 per hectare for irrigated land and ₹22,500 per hectare for perennial crops.
The government has also announced compensation for livestock losses. Assistance ranging from ₹32,000 to ₹37,500 will be provided for the death of a cow or bullock, while ₹20,000 will be given for small cattle. The compensation for the death of a goat, sheep or pig has been fixed at ₹4,000. In the case of chickens, ₹100 will be provided per bird, subject to a maximum assistance of ₹10,000.



