Corona Scare: IPL Postponed to April 15

Mumbai: The Board of Control for Cricket in India today decided to postpone the Indian Premier League  to April 15, 2020, as a precautionary measure against the ongoing COVID-19 situation. There was speculation as to what the board will decide amidst the ongoing Coronavirus scare, and finally postponing the tournament came up as the solution.

“The BCCI is concerned and sensitive about all its stakeholders, and public health in general, and it is taking all necessary steps to ensure that, all people related to IPL including fans have a safe cricketing experience,” the BCCI said in an official statement. The board has also assured that it will work in unison with the Sports Ministry and will adhere to the guidelines issued.

Earlier in the day, Delhi’s Deputy Chief Minister, Manish Sisodia announced that all sporting activities, including the Indian Premier League (IPL), attracting a large crowd turnout have been banned amidst the coronavirus outbreak. “Sports activities, seminars, conferences, we have decided to shut them. No sports event including IPL would be allowed in Delhi until the next order.

Coronavirus is spreading, we have decided to maintain social distance, IPL is a big event, many people come from various corners, I would also like to appeal to the people,” Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia, told reporters here.

Related Articles

Back to top button